You are a Faculty Member…
One of the biggest challenges for faculty members in terms of compliance is the fact that their day-to-day activities are so varied and that they intersect with many different compliance topics and thus, obligations. Your own reputation, the University’s reputation, and the funding and support that NC State relies on to fulfill its mission of teaching, research, and service are dependent on every member of the NC State community taking responsibility for his/her own activities, and for the compliance of those activities with legal and ethical standards. With improved awareness, you can prepare yourself to better spot issues and then enlist help from resources such as the University Compliance & Integrity Manager, the Office of General Counsel, an HR representative, or other services.
How Does Compliance Intersect with Your Role at the University?
The NC State community can only function smoothly and successfully if everyone takes responsibility for their own actions and make themselves aware of their obligations.
Know your rights and responsibilities, and expectations as a faculty member:
- Become knowledgeable of relevant University policies, regulations, and rules
- Demonstrate the highest standards and ethical behavior when conducting research
- Protect confidentiality of student records in accordance with Family Educational Rights and Privacy (FERPA) (REG 11.00.01 – Family Educational Rights and Privacy)
- Read the Faculty Edition of the Howling Counsel Newsletter for more compliance links and information
Promote a safe and secure campus environment:
- Use the University Police as a resource
- Familiarize yourself with emergency procedures
- Report harassing, discriminatory, and other unwelcome behaviors immediately
- Know how to recognize a student of concern and how to refer a student for assistance
- Assist the Behavioral Assessment Team (BAT) in maintaining the safety and well-being of our campus community
- Maintain a Drug Free Workplace