You are a Staff Member…
Greater awareness can ultimately empower you to better understand how and when compliance intersects with your day-to-day work at the University. Every staff member has different compliance obligations depending on his or her role and the precise nature of his or her work. Given the diversity of NC State’s compliance activities, and differing roles that staff members perform, no-one expects every staff member to understand or know how to solve every compliance issue. But with improved awareness, you can be better prepared to spot issues and then enlist help from resources such as your manager or supervisor; the University Compliance Ethics & Enterprise Risk Management Officer; the Office of General Counsel; an HR representative; or other university services.
How Does Compliance Intersect with Your Role at the University?
The NC State community can only function smoothly and successfully if everyone takes responsibility for their own actions and make themselves aware of their obligations.
Know your rights and responsibilities, and expectations as a staff member:
- Become knowledgeable of relevant University policies, regulations, and rules
- Protect confidentiality of student records in accordance with Family Educational Rights and Privacy (FERPA) (REG 11.00.01 – Family Educational Rights and Privacy)
Promote a safe and secure campus environment:
- Use the University Police as a resource
- Familiarize yourself with emergency information
- Report harassing, discriminatory, and other unwelcome behaviors immediately
- Know how to recognize a student of concern and how to refer a student for assistance
- Assist the Behavioral Assessment Team (BAT) in maintaining the safety and well-being of our campus community
- Maintain a Drug Free Workplace